Did the first 22 signs make you smile? Laugh? Sigh? Shake your head?
[PR Daily published a story this year from PR professional Lauren Fernandez on the 11 signs that someone works in public relations. (The story originally appeared on Fernandez’s blog.) The article unleashed a flood of comments that PR Daily compiled into a second story (“42 more signs you work in PR“).]
Here are the rest of the signs. (You know some of these – okay, MANY of these – describe you.)
23. You engage in weekly conversations with your clients that start with, “Why weren’t we included in this WSJ article?”
24. You’ve heard all the lines about sleep: “Sleep is overrated.” “You can sleep all you want when you die.” “Do you ever sleep?”
25. You start your day by digging out of client and competitor alerts and checking email, all before you’re out of bed.
26. You check HootSuite in the morning before you get out of bed just to monitor what has been said about your clients overnight.
27. Every Friday around 5:00 p.m. you think, “This could be crisis time!” (And sometimes even look forward to a good one.)
28. You know what time it is anywhere in the world and every country’s phone code, all without having to look at a reference guide.
29. You’re afraid to go more than 15 minutes (max) without checking Twitter/Facebook/news feeds to make sure you’re not missing anything.
30. You rely on to-do lists (yes, plural) to get you through your day, but often don’t get to cross anything off until 4 p.m. (after managing a few surprise crises).
31. You wake from a dream in the middle of the night, rolling over to grab the pen and paper you keep on your nightstand to jot it down so you won’t forget an idea for yet another crazy PR stunt. Work on the mind during the day and work on the mind while you sleep!
32. You can’t look at or listen to any form of media without thinking, “My client should be on/in that.”
33. My iPhone is my girlfriend. My MacBook Pro, my best friend.
34. You’re the only person groaning out loud when reading the paper on the bus. How were we not included?
35. You check your smartphone before brushing your teeth.
36. People have asked you if you sleep in your office and you’ve actually thought about where you’d put the sleeping bag … if it ever got to that.
37. Checking of smartphones and news becomes an everyday routine before bedtime and in the mornings.
38. You read/hear about a company’s crisis and instantly think, “I wonder who their AOR is.”
39. You have one copy of the AP Stylebook at work, one at home, one on your Kindle and the app on your phone.
40. At cocktail parties, you speak in quotable sound bites.
41. You never plan meetings on Fridays afternoons or make personal plans on Friday evenings. You know that “the call” is coming at 4:45 p.m., and everything will need to be dropped anyway.
42. You actually take surveys. It’s good client karma, right?
43. You think and speak in 140 characters or less.
44. You call taking any photo a “Photo-op.”
45. Post-it notes are your lifeblood.
46. You almost die if your BlackBerry is sent for servicing!
47. Your friends think you’re crazy for your undeniable attachment to your social networks.
48. Client’s products are decorations on your desk.
49. You eat every meal at the office and have a shelf dedicated to your favorite snacks, most of which include some kind of protein or snack bar.
50. You work out at 4:00 a.m.
51. You watch televised press conferences for fun and to steal really good talking points.
52. Your morning consists of simultaneously pitching different campaigns, for different clients, across different media markets, and often, in different languages.
53. Something really bad happens and you’re the first to announce, “We don’t have problems; we have opportunities.”